Thursday, March 15, 2012

this will change lives!




I am inspired to make a life-changing trip for the many women and children of Haiti who suffer under a widespread sexual violence epidemic in the post-earthquake tent cities that have formed there, where assault has become rampant.   As a surivor of domestic abuse I am personally committed to raise money to help these victims and ask for your help.
As you know, I am extremely passionate about empowering women to live healthy, happy lives. This passion was ignited not so many years ago when I myself survived domestic violence, and went in search of healing. Today I am stronger and happier than ever before, and as a result of my experience, I firmly believe that healing for women who have suffered abuse must come from an integrated mind-body approach.
A Boston organization called yogaHOPE is partnering with a group in Port-au-Prince called AMURT.  AMURT is creating safe spaces and programming for women and children who have been the targets of sexual violence.  Team yogaHOPE has just returned from Port-au-Prince where it began the first of what will be a series of trainings for Haitian Community Leaders in a powerful integrated yoga and mindfulness-based curriculum to aid in these women’s healing—most of whom are survivors of horrific sexual violence. Many of these women's young children have also been raped, resulting in compound trauma for entire families.
I am one of ten Americans who have committed to raise $3,500 toward the project and will have the life-changing opportunity to go and train with the group in Haiti this April.  Please take a moment to watch this inspiring video of yogaHOPE’s inaugural training in Port-au-Prince.
100% of the money I raise will go to support this initiative, and I'll be paying my own way to Haiti. I am hoping for 100 of my friends, family and supporters to donate $35 to my page. To some in Haiti, that is one third of a monthly salary; $100 will pay one of these Haitian Community Leaders’ salary for an entire month. What may seem like a little to you is so very much to others.
Please donate HERE!  If $35 is too much for you now, please consider giving $10, $15, $20.
Thank you so much in advance for making this possible, and for helping me pay my healing forward!

No comments:

Post a Comment